Sunday, March 15, 2009

Wow...I wasn't expecting THAT...

So, I'm not back to running full time yet. I am definitely running in spurts. I think this is going to be a great running season.

We ran fartleks on Thursday night. I did 6X2:00. To say I surprised myself was an understatement. Dave (my running coach) set up cones along the track that represented 5K pace. The last cone represented a 34:00 5K. Last year I ran just under a 39:00 5K. I was consistently running between the 32:00 and 34:00, even after the sixth time. I was exhausted, but very encouraged. I have been amazed at how much faster I am.

Yesterday morning, I ran 4 minutes with a two minute break for about 40 minutes. I did really well with that. Today I went to a track and ran 200m fast and then walked 200m. Again, I surprised myself because according to my iPod, I was running between a 9:30-10:00 minute mile. My average pace today was 12:45 min/mile! That was my average pace last summer, and I was running!

Being gluten free has improved my health in more ways than I could have imagined. Looking back at last summer, I was so unhealthy. I was eating gluten, my asthma was poorly controlled, and my body hurt. I still have a long way to go to get the distance of last summer back, but I can't wait!

No comments: